Image Map

Monday, April 22, 2013

Summer Literacy Centers

Since I teach at a year round school, I teach during the summer. (Don't feel too bad for me, I get the whole Spring off while my students are still in school). Our summer school is more academic than the summer schools I went to growing up (that was mostly art and computer class). I get my new students for the year during summer and we hit the ground running starting in June. That means we start literacy centers starting the second week of school. So for those of you who teach summer school OR are looking for some summer-themed centers for the end of the year, I present my latest centers:

 One of the packets I made focuses on synonyms. First, students match sunshine synonyms together and write their answers.

The second activity students play the game concentration with synonyms.
 
To check summer synonyms out of TPT click here or on the pictures below:
 photo 65Ge96_zps234797cd.jpeg
 photo jfgcO4_zpsfb277a34.jpeg
I also created an antonym packet with the same activities as the synonym packet. Students match the antonym sunglasses:



Then students can play the game concentration with antonyms:
To see the summer antonyms on TPT click here or on the pictures below:
 photo CnzE6q_zps521c2491.jpeg
 photo y6f2wz_zps3013c0f7.jpeg

I also created a packet to work on long and short vowels, something I know my newly minted second graders will need a LOT of practice in.
 First students will practice making short vowel words using onset and rime cards.

Students then practice making long vowel words using onset and rime cards.


Once students have practiced working with long and short vowels, they will play the memory game concentration by matching either long or short vowel words. Students turn the cards face down, then turn two over at a time. If the cards match (either they are both long vowels or both short vowels) students get to keep the cards. If they don't match, they will be turned back face down.
To see this pack on TeachersPayTeachers, click here or on the pictures below:
 photo nGy6H9_zps4b8774db.jpeg
 photo HcjS7w_zpse64e0563.jpeg
 In order to practice identifying consonant clusters, students will do a seashell word sort by beginning consonants (either one, two, or three beginning consonants).




To check it out on TPT click here or on the pictures below:
 photo oLAn0X_zps55a54393.jpeg
 photo LuqEB5_zps74a4fd96.jpeg


My last center I created focused on those tricky "oo" words. Students sort words into either oo sound in moon or uh sound in look. (I love this center just because the clipart is so adorable. Who doesn't love ice cream?)


To see this on TPT click here or on the pictures below:
 photo YHlYC1_zps21f7f2f1.jpeg photo HTu6PX_zps69afaad3.jpeg


Anyone else here teaching summer school? Have some fun ideas to share?



2 comments:

  1. Your summer themed activities are absolutely adorable! Thanks for sharing :)
    -Julie
    The Techie Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having read this I believed it was extremely informative. I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this content together. I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worth it!
    Inspirational & Motivational New Year Quotes 2020
    Happy New Year 101Greetings

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...